For party planning needs in the DC metro area please visit Fabulous Fetes

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

{Tutorial} Cake Pop Stand

Okay, so I wanted to make sure to post this so that I didn't end up forgetting about it like I did with the onesie tutorial.

My dad always says that 'necessity is the mother of invention' and that was definitely the case here.  If  you've ever made cake pops that you intend to serve or give lollipop style, you've probably run into the issue of how to display them.  Well that's the position I was in when I headed to the craft store.  I'm telling you the staff at the store probably had a close eye on me because there I was in the wood section just setting things up on shelves, eyeing them, readjusting them, over and over until I came up with this easy cake pop stand. 

 I still love the idea of using cake pop bouquets as centerpieces, but if you ever want to display all the pops on a dessert table, this is definitely the way to go

What you'll need:
  • Varying sizes of wood cutouts (you'll need at least an inch and a half size difference between each tier)
  • a drill and bit set
  • a compass
  • glue gun
  • sand paper
  • paint in desired color
  • a lollipop stick to determine the size of the holes
First, set your compass at 1 1/2".  Pencil your first mark and then use the compass to insure that each hole with be at least 1 1/2" apart.  Continue to mark all the holes on each tier.  Using the lollipop stick, determine the best bit to use and drill each hole 3/4 of the way through the wood.  I do this so that the cake pops don't end up going through the stand over time

If your lucky like I am, you have a neighbor with a drill press and he can hammer it out within a matter of minutes (thanks Derek and Ellen)!!
Once all the tiers have been marked and drilled, take some sand paper and smooth over all the holes.  (I opted to put a dowel in the center of the top tier so that I can add a sign but it's not necessary) Then glue the tiers together using your glue gun and spray paint it in your choice of color and you're ready to display your cake pops!

This stand holds 56 cake pops but you can make yours as large or as small as you like.  I'm really pleased with the way this stand turned out. 

Now you can make a stand to match any theme.  It's also great to use as a drying stand during the cake pop making process.

13 comments:

  1. Hi, very nice blog.....
    your work done very well....
    Thank for the sharing.....

    Cake Display

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Prolix! Thank you so much for the kind words. I'm glad you enjoy the blog and I thank you for following.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! What an adorable idea. I LOVE this!! :) Thanks for Sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jami! If you decide to make one, send me a pic, I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this tutorial! I recently got into the idea of Cake Pops, and can't wait to make more. But, I'm going to wait until my Dad will make this for me. Will be much easier than the styrofoam I used the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're very welcome Becca! I agree, it's beats the styrofoam. I played around with stacking different sized foam blocks and that works for a one time use but this one can be used over and over. Send pics of your cake pops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea! Cake pop stands are a bit costly and with the added cost of shipping to Hawaii, it really doesn't seem worth it. Now I can make a unique cake pop stand for a fraction of what I would have paid. Thanks, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did you get your wood cutouts at? I can't seem to find one where they are 1 1/2 inches apart from each layer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda, I got these at AC Moore (a craft store here in VA) but I got some different shapes at JoAnne Fabrics and Crafts.
    You could get away with the wooden pieces being 3/4 of an inch or an inch apart. 1 1/2 just happened to be what mine were.

    Good luck! Send pics, I love to see finished projects!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the idea. Just order my cakepop pan and was thinking how to hold them. Keep up the good work. and for the rest of the people looking for the shapes. I found mine at walmart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks great a project for my hubby. Definitely going to try this.
    Caroline.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what is the size of the biggest piece of wood that is in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kriselda,

      My largest piece measures 10 1/2" x 8 1/2". There is about a 2 inch difference between each piece depending on the shape of the precut pieces that you choose. If you're cutting your own wood then you can adjust the sizes to fit your needs.

      Hope that helps!

      Delete